Pages

Recent Posts

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Zut Alors

Bonsoir! Ah Paris, je t'aime. This city is incredible. I can't believe I'm finally here, after eight long years of oral exams, the dreaded subjunctive, and a dependence on freetranslation.com, French class has finally paid off. I've wanted to come here ever since that fateful day in Madame Beyer's sixth grade class when I conjugated my very first verb.

I bet you're all dying to know how I've been faring in the City of Light, but unfortunately I learned the hard way never to trust a Radio Shack employee and have a dead and currently unchargable laptop. The voltage adapter recommended to me for European outlets does not support the wattage of my MacBook charger, and what with all the extreme blogging I have been engaging in the battery well has run quite dry.

One of my first memories in Paris has been asking the guy behind the counter at the local Office Depot (makes sense they have those here, "depot" sounds so French) who spoke zero English if they had laptop voltage adapters. Now that was an experience. Madame Beyer taught me how to conjugate the verb chercher so I could communicate that I was looking for something, but "voltage adapter" never came up in our vocabulary lessons. Nevertheless I struggled through and was actually directed to some kind of adapter, but not exactly what I needed. So for the time being, let your imaginations run wild with visions of the shenanigans I have gotten involved in thus far, and I will debrief everyone on my happenings once I figure out the charging situation.

All I'll say for now is Vive la France. Vivent les Nutella crepes. And vivent--for lack of a better term--les voltage adapters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment